[NAFEX] Spray Tank Residue

Don Yellman don.yellman at webformation.com
Thu Jul 30 12:11:11 EDT 2009

Sherwin:

When the addition of a new substance to your spray tank causes a problem, the finger of suspicion points to that substance, wouldn't you say?  The calcium product normally used on apples is chemically calcium chloride, the same thing used to de-ice roads, with many other uses in food processing and industry.

I am not a chemist and cannot provide a molecular explanation, but I would say your sticker/spreader is precipitating the calcium out of solution and depositing it on the bottom of your sprayer.   The instructions on my calcium solution call for about 2.5 fluid ounces per gallon, which is quite a bit in terms of volume.  How much cacium solution are you adding to a 2- gallon sprayer?

I have noticed that sticker/spreader can easily cause sprayer clogging with any mix when used at the recommended rate, which seems quite high to me.  Consequently, when I use sticker/spreader, I reduce the quantity to about 1/3 that recommended on the label.  How many fluid ounces of sticker/spreader are you using in a 2-gallon mix?  My guess is that a reduction of either the calcium solution or the sticker spreader in your mix would reduce the deposits in your sprayer by a proportional amount.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA