[NAFEX] late blight not overwintering this far north

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 13:04:30 EDT 2009

Lee, you always have a high faith in the pedigreed experts- being one
yourself, but perhaps because of my lack of initiation and having been
raised by a highly fallible pedigreed expert (in another field) I am
somewhat more skeptical.  Of course, I also have a bit of a problem with
authority.

Since blight arrived in my neighborhood every gardener around me has had to
deal with it every year for the last 14 years and no one around me grows
potatoes.  We are also some distance apart as I'm a quarter mile from the
next vegetable garden.  I never buy my tomato plants and always start them
from seed as do several of my neighbors.

It is always the same dance- more rain- more and earlier blight.  This is
the most early summer and late spring rain any of us can remember so my
tomatoes look exactly as I would expect them to.  I have tried all the
tricks of black plastic or mulch to keep off splashing but the only thing
that makes a difference for me is keeping rain off the plants.  I have even
brought blighted plants in under plastic and had the blight reverse.

When I was in hort-shcool we had a saying "the pathologist will aways find
his pathogen".  What it meant was that basically the pathogen is the
symptom.  The horticulturist, therefore, finds the cause (egocentric, I
know).

For those of you who don't know, I am in Z6 northeastern NY.