[NAFEX] late blight warning (was climate, weather and fruit)

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Sun Jul 26 13:11:49 EDT 2009

On Jul 26, 2009, at 12:20 AM, Ginda Fisher wrote:

> The tomatoes look very sad, and are well behind where they ought to
> be.  They also sem to have more problems with dying leaves than
> normal.  I thought that was virus, but maybe it's a little of this and
> a little of that, and some of that is wilt.

Ginda, you do know to watch out for late blight, right? It's early this
year, as a lot of the big box stores sold infected transplants all over
the Northeast; and weather, in many areas, has been favorable to
disease development.

Your county extension agent should be able to identify the problem for
you.

Some good info and links from the site below (tailored to NY state, but
most of it generally useful info):

http://nofany.org/hottopics/lateblight2009.htm

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly