[NAFEX] Who wants a research project?

Jim Fruth jimfruth at charter.net
Sat Jul 25 10:34:18 EDT 2009

    Do any of you want to develop a purple raspberry that will thrive in
zone 3, or perhaps also zone 2?  My farm is at saturation point so I have no
room to do it.  Consequently, I throw them away whenever I get any (several
each year).

    Purple raspberries are a cross between a black raspberry and a red
raspberry.  The bees travel between my Pequot black raspberry and the red
raspberries and cross pollinate.  A bird eats the berry, poops it out and
plants grow.  I dig out all mis-placed plants, put most in pots for sale and
a few go straight into the black raspberry patch to replace dead ones.  The
potted plants are all for sale after they get big enough for me to weed out
the red raspberry and purple raspberry plants; I only sell black raspberry
plants in pots and I charge $3.50.
    The possible crosses with red raspberries include Latham, Boyne, Encore,
Nova, K-81-6 or the wild plants that grow on a neighbor's property.
    I've got 10(+/-) purple raspberry plants in my black raspberry patch now
that I'll be pulling out this Fall.  If you want them, I'll dig them out so
you'll get survivable plants.  As for any seedlings I get, when I identify
them, instead of destroying them, I'd plant them to be dug out once they go
dormant.  That'll be more work than I normally do but I'd sell all plants to
you at my normal rate of $3.50 plus postage.  You'd get bare-root plants in
October.  Any other details could be worked out between you and I.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: