[NAFEX] What's the difference between Champagne Currants &WhiteCurrants?

Brungardt, Sam Sam.Brungardt at state.mn.us
Thu Jul 23 13:45:57 EDT 2009

To be truthful, I am not sure.

Jung's, Raintree Nursery, and Nourse Farms all sell what they are calling 'Pink Champagne' currant.  What I suppose is the same cultivar is listed in the NCGR-Corvallis Ribes Catalog simply as 'Champagne'.:

	NCGR-Corvallis Ribes Catalog
	Pink Currant Cultivars and Selections
	Traits listed are intended for preliminary subgrouping of accessions. Traits are from germplasm release notices, published reports, or observations made at NCGR-Corvallis.

	Champagne = PI 617916 (1183.001) - Ribes rubrum L. CURRANT-PINK  - MIDSEASON, HERITAGE AMERICAN, FRESH, PROCESSED

	Gloire des Sablons = PI 556309 (314.001) - Ribes rubrum L. CURRANT-PINK  - EARLY, RUN-OFF MEDIUM, MILDEW SUSCEPTIBLE, RUST SUSCEPTIBLE

	Rosa Hollandische = PI 556307 (210.001) - Ribes rubrum L. CURRANT-PINK - VIRUS INFECTED - RUST SUSCEPTIBLE