[NAFEX] Mowing strawberries

Jim Fruth jimfruth at charter.net
Tue Jul 21 10:33:49 EDT 2009

Rivka asked, "Why would you mow strawberries?  It sounds like something a
nursery
 would tell you to do to prevent your strawberries from runnering."

    I mow my strawberries too.  I learned about the practice from the
newsletter put out by the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture.  I (we?) mow
after the last berries are harvested AND after the runners are all produced
but BEFORE the end of August.  The theory behind the practice is to remove
all diseased leaves and to give the daughter plants a better chance to get
started.  Immediately after mowing, I spread a generous amount of ammonium
nitrate.  The daughter plants make their flower-bearing shoots in late
Summer and the extra nitrogen gives them a much needed boost.  An advantage
of mowing and adding more nitrogen is that the plants perform like a recent
planting producing copious numbers of huge king berries.  I fertilize with a
complete fertilizer in Late Fall.
    Incidentally, I grow Cavandish Strawberries because of their superior
disease resistance.  I've tried other varieties but they haven't lasted for
longer that two or three years whereas Cavandish has been in the same spot
for a dozen years now.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472