[NAFEX] Picking unripe fruit

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Mon Jul 20 14:47:14 EDT 2009

Stone fruits ripen fine with or without stem attached.  You can speed it up
by putting them in a paper bag.  They also go from ripe to overripe pretty
easily.

~ Stephen
Happy that peaches are plentiful right now

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Jim Fruth
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2009 5:57 AM
To: NAFEX
Subject: [NAFEX] Picking unripe fruit

    When I've picked unripe fruit, I've learned that it the fruit comes off
the stem it stops ripening.  When I pick it with stem intact (including
raspberries) the fruit continues to ripen.  Leaving the stem intact on
peaches and apricots might require the use of a pruning shear.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: