[NAFEX] Deer and European Plums

Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov
Mon Jul 20 13:36:07 EDT 2009

Lucky said: " ...they frequently consume new growth on persimmon grafts
-
though they rarely bother the same sort of growth on
seedling rootstock shoots,..."

That is an interesting observation. I can second it. I have 2 persimmons
growing where deer can access them.  Deer topped my grafted "Early
Golden" as it emerged from a 4 ft. tree protector.  My seedling in a 4
ft. tree protector has remained unbrowsed...

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |"Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu" <Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu>                                                                             |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |nafex at lists.ibiblio.org                                                                                                                     |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |07/20/2009 07:02 AM                                                                                                                         |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |Re: [NAFEX] Deer and European Plums                                                                                                         |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Sent by:   |
|------------>
  |nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org                                                                                                             |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Regional &/or individual preferences must vary
considerably.
The damned hooved rats here are voracious browsers of
my young pear, pecan, and hickory grafts; they
frequently consume new growth on persimmon grafts -
though they rarely bother the same sort of growth on
seedling rootstock shoots, and literally demolish any
unprotected small apple graftlings.
I wish they would eat plums or cherries and leave the
desirable, productive stuff alone.

I never had any significant deer problems here until
the summer of 2007 - we'd had a disastrous freeze at
Easter, followed by a prolonged severe drought,
coupled with a major outbreak of Epizootic
Hemorrhagic Disease in the deer population.  Two
orphaned fawns spent the summer in orchard - I'd see
them at all times of the day;  guess I should have
killed the blasted things while they were still
wearing their spots - but I didn't, and I'm fairly
certain that they're the progenitors of or the main
marauders wreaking havoc now.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY