[NAFEX] Mark's soil

Jim Fruth jimfruth at charter.net
Mon Jul 20 08:40:44 EDT 2009

Mark,
    Most soil contains buffers and you may have to add more acid to achieve
the desired pH.  That is why I advise people to wait a year before planting
an acid-loving crop.  Get the soil to the proper acidity, then plant.
    Before I planted my blueberries, I visited the University of Minnesota
Blueberry Test Plot.  There I learned that plants in too high a soil pH
didn't exhibit choruses, rather they took on a purple color.  I didn't think
to ask how it affected yield.

Our soil is 7.0  pH based on two different soil tests (A&L Labs).  Last fall
I decided I wanted to plant blueberries.  I rented a skid loader and dug out
room for two blueberry beds.  After removing a significant amount of topsoil
and piling it up. I put a generous amount of leaf litter down.  Then added
some sulfur on the leaf litter.  Then added the topsoil back to make a
couple of terraces for the blueberry plants.  Then added more sulfur and a
little urea.  In the spring I planted the blueberries.  So far they show no
signs of iron chlorosis.  The funny thing is though, I checked the pH of the
soil at the blueberry root zone (about 4 inches down) about a month ago.  It
measured still measured 7.0.  It appears to take awhile for the bacteria to
lower the pH and for the sulfur to leach down.

Mark wrote:  "Our soil is 7.0  pH based on two different soil tests (A&L