[NAFEX] Deer and European Plums

Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu
Mon Jul 20 07:02:29 EDT 2009

Regional &/or individual preferences must vary
considerably.
The damned hooved rats here are voracious browsers of
my young pear, pecan, and hickory grafts; they
frequently consume new growth on persimmon grafts -
though they rarely bother the same sort of growth on
seedling rootstock shoots, and literally demolish any
unprotected small apple graftlings.
I wish they would eat plums or cherries and leave the
desirable, productive stuff alone.

I never had any significant deer problems here until
the summer of 2007 - we'd had a disastrous freeze at
Easter, followed by a prolonged severe drought,
coupled with a major outbreak of Epizootic
Hemorrhagic Disease in the deer population.  Two
orphaned fawns spent the summer in orchard - I'd see
them at all times of the day;  guess I should have
killed the blasted things while they were still
wearing their spots - but I didn't, and I'm fairly
certain that they're the progenitors of or the main
marauders wreaking havoc now.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY