[NAFEX] When to pick apricots

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Sun Jul 19 11:48:09 EDT 2009

I thought I'd offer an update.

I picked some fruit shortly after this post.  It never "ripened", but
when it started to shrivel I tried eating some.  It wasn't at all
sweet, but it wasn't bitter or astringent, either, and the flavor was
actually pretty good.

I picked some fruit around when I tried eating that.  And I picked all
but two of the remaining apricots yesterday.  The second batch sort of
ripened, was also not very sweet, but was quite tasty.  I ate a lot of
them in one sitting.  The third batch was larger than the prior two,
they abviously hadn't finished growing when I started to pick, despite
having almost no green on the fruit. The third batch are still a bit
firm, are sweet, but not very sweet, and are delicious.

There are lots of pits on the ground, and I think the two I left
yesterday are gone.  Alas, I'm obviously going to have to pick these
under-ripe.  But they are surprisingly tasty even when under-ripe.

and I have a very happy squirrel population.  sigh. . .

Ginda