[NAFEX] Fruth's comments

Mark Angermayer hangermayer at isp.com
Sat Jul 18 13:36:47 EDT 2009

Our soil is 7.0  pH based on two different soil tests (A&L Labs).  Last fall I decided I wanted to plant blueberries.  I rented a skid loader and dug out room for two blueberry beds.  After removing a significant amount of topsoil and piling it up. I put a generous amount of leaf litter down.  Then added some sulfur on the leaf litter.  Then added the topsoil back to make a couple of terraces for the blueberry plants.  Then added more sulfur and a little urea.  In the spring I planted the blueberries.  So far they show no signs of iron chlorosis.  The funny thing is though, I checked the pH of the soil at the blueberry root zone (about 4 inches down) about a month ago.  It measured still measured 7.0.  It appears to take awhile for the bacteria to lower the pH and for the sulfur to leach down.

Mark
KS