[NAFEX] Make extra money from fruit trees

Jim Fruth jimfruth at charter.net
Sat Jul 18 09:28:57 EDT 2009

    Here is a money-making idea for many of you fruit growers.

    I put all of my fruit tree prunings on a pile.  I have a
chipper/shredder and I shred it all onto a tarp, then bag it up.  Yesterday
I spent about an hour and a half shredding it.  A fellow from a local
farmers' market buys it, bags it and sells it as smoker wood for barbecuers,
etc.  I charge him 50 cents per pound.  I did 90 pounds yesterday.  If I
didn't own a chipper/shredder, I'd rent one from the local rent-all store.
    Before I bought a chipper/shredder, I used to load up all of my prunings
in my pick-up truck and rent a chipper/shredder right at the rent-all store
because that was a whole lot cheaper than renting the machine and bringing
it home to do the work.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472