[NAFEX] gooseberry seeds

John S swim_at_svc at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 11 09:21:00 EDT 2009

Ernest,  I find that most of the tartness of H. Red is located in the skin.  Fully ripened, they are quite good and even the skin sweetens.  That is, of course, if the birds, jap beetles and fruit wasps will let them alone long enough.  I screened all my gooseberries, blueberries, currants and bush cherries this year - well worth the cost and effort, as I am getting the best harvest ever --- and they get to ripen with predation losses.  I am getting ripe fruit from varieties that never lasted llong enough before, apparently being preferred by the varmints and critters.

John