[NAFEX] Delaying Fire Blight Death

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Tue Jul 7 08:39:45 EDT 2009

>     A next door neighbor has a tree with severe fire blight who refuses to do anything about it... Instead, I bought several cans of spray paint and sprayed a THICK coat within 12" or more of any infection.

I assume this is to prevent the spread of the disease, Jim, but are you
not cutting off the diseased parts of the tree? Just wondering how this
helps.

I've got fireblight for the first time this year (well, my apple trees
are only a few years old), and I'm struggling to contain it. It's been
really bad on my Suncrisp apple, and it keeps re-appearing (oddly
enough, the other three varieties planted just 18" away haven't shown
any sign of the disease).

I've been cutting off the diseased branches and disposing of them, so I
was wondering how spray paint would help. Or do you spray the cut? So
far, I haven't seen it show up where I've cut off diseased branches,
only elsewhere on the tree.

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Much of what has gone disastrously wrong in American policy, especially
foreign policy, in recent years can be attributed to a reliance on blind