[NAFEX] sandy soils

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 10:22:28 EDT 2009

I think the limiting factor for growing any common fruit tree on any
rootstock I've ever used and generally in all plants is poor drainage when
it comes to soil texture.  If a sandy soil is kept adequately fertile and
moist (both requiring more dillegence than in a finer soil, of course) trees
that can tolerate heavy soils will grow just fine.  I prefer a lighter soil
for all fruit species I grow because here in the humid east too much water
is more a problem than too little and I even find anecdotally fruit quality
better with higher brix in lighter soils.   Poor drainage badly affects many
things in an orchard- even annual bearing.