[NAFEX] English Walnut

Mark and Alisha Fehringer markandalishafehringer at peetzplace.com
Mon Jul 6 10:08:30 EDT 2009

Hi,

Where are you located, Randy?

I have grown many Juglans regia 'Carpathian' walnuts from seed.  They do reasonably well in the summer, but experience lots of winterkill.  None have made it taller than knee high in 3-4 years.  Black walnuts of the same age are chest high with 2' of new growth on them.  I have tried to bud these seedling Carpathians onto the black walnut, but have been unsuccessful so far.  I have heard tale of a tree in a nearby city, but haven't seen it yet.

Mark
Northeast Colorado, low humidity, 4500' elevation, windy