[NAFEX] Carpathian walnuts in the northeast

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 07:21:15 EDT 2009

I've never seen a single walnut for sale at a farmer's market here.
Homeowners often see these trees offered in catalogues and plant them but I
never hear of anyone harvesting them although I sometimes see them in
people's yards.  They seem to have insect problems that would require an
individual spray regimen (some kind of fly-maggot) and if you don't have a
very large field to make squirrels very nervous to cross, your odds of
harvesting any are probably pretty small. I am intrigued by the suggestion
here of digging small holes and filling them with partially composted leaves
to encourage squirrels to leave some nuts where you can find them.

I've had one good experience with black walnuts on a site I planted a
couple.  I planted Surprise and another variety and the Surprise bore
delicious nuts the third year (I got some very good sized bare-roots).  The
trees are in the middle of a large open field, however.  I have a nephew who
has wonderful crops of Carpathians in Idaho so I'm thinking they are better
suited to the dry West.