[NAFEX] Plum incompatble with apricot? - a story

Rosholdt rosholdt at erols.com
Sun Jul 5 16:58:19 EDT 2009

Martha,

I really think they were talking about pollination, but your message
gives me pause.  We had a really fierce winter this year in central
Virginia with the typical 80 degree days in January, followed by nasty
cold weather, then it began to let up in early March, then came three
nights with 6 degree F temps.  I had weird stuff happen in the orchard.
  I went out to prune and found chunks of bark missing from branches
(like a sudden freeze "blow-out" I've heard about but never seen).  One
was so bad, the branch was girdled and that part of the tree was dead.

I have had trees die this year and am still having trees die.  Two
pears, Collette and Seckel (fireblight), two seedling persimmons, and my
Ichi Kei Ki Jeiro (it leafed out, bloomed, then sudden wilt and death -
very strange).  One was the Harglow Apricot I had planted between two
(scary music) Plums, a purple leafed plum from Edible Landscaping and a
1ER Russian plum from Hidden Springs Nursery, TN.  I am not sure how
these plums, which appear healthy (except for the severe blowout
mentioned above on the 1ER Plum could possibly have contributed to the
Apricot's demise.  I have examined the tree, and couldn't find anything
untoward.  I'll dig it up soon and see if the roots are damaged, but it
doesn't "wiggle".

Barbara Rosholdt
Z7a