[NAFEX] Pears/Fireblight

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Sun Jul 5 15:23:32 EDT 2009

The level of available nitrogen has a very large effect on a pear tree's
susceptibility to fireblight.

About 1986 I saw some old trees of Sheldon which had been partly
topworked to Bosc and fertlized with nitrogen to promote growth; the
Sheldon branches became heavily infected with fireblight although they
had been apparently not significantly bothered by it before.

In 1983 I saw a small block of young Bartlett trees infected with
fireblight; the grower said for the first time. He attributed it to his
having planted a patch of sweet corn across a farm track from the
Bartletts, and having fertlized the sweet corn with nitrogen.

The same grower told me that some years prevously the Geneva station had
published recommendations on mineral nutrition to minimize fireblight.
I've forgotten most of what he said about it but my recollection is that
calcium and magnesium were important.

I've been told that a major reason for the Agriculture Canada program to
breed fireblight resistant pears at Harrow, Ontario, was to allow
growers to fertlize with nitrogen and increase yield and fruit size;
although I understand that the region around Harrow also typically has a
worse fireblight problem than the Niagara Peninsula, which is itself bad
enough.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada