[NAFEX] Pears/Fireblight

Anton Callaway marillen at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 5 14:39:07 EDT 2009

I've wondered about the possibility of there being multiple strains of Erwinia amylovora.  For instance, Ethan has reported that 'Spalding' in Houston blights badly, but here it's almost completely blight-free.  I recognize that Houston may be one of the few places in the country that are hotter & about as humid as here in piedmont NC.  However, I also considered the possibility that his neighborhood was inhabited by a more virulent bacterial strain.

That is why I was so interested in Dr. Richard Bell's answer to this question at the NAFEX meeting in Lexington a few years ago.  He stated that there weren't any known strains of significantly differing virulence.  If that's true, then environment becomes the biggest determinant in susceptibility of a specific pear cultivar.  With some exceptions to prove the rule, there is a blight gradient that worsens as you go south (in the humid Eastern U.S.).  For instance, 'Honeysweet' and 'Megietsu' blight badly here, but are reported to be quite resistant in the Mid-West.

'Magness' is known to be blight-susceptible in trunk, but resistant in leaves and flowers.  So, like you've observed, it doesn't wall off infections well when they enter the larger limbs (hail is the classic injury that inoculates trunks).  'Magness' will produce well here for 10-20 years, but invariably will blight out in an epiphytotic accompanied by hail. [BTW, my spellchecker suggests, "Madness" for the word, "Magness".  Hmmm.]

Anton