[NAFEX] Black/Red Raspberry Question

Jim Fruth jimfruth at charter.net
Thu Jul 2 09:46:21 EDT 2009

    As many of you know, I sell black raspberry plants.  We've all heard of
frequently asked questions and the one I hear most often is, "I heard that
black raspberries and red raspberries shouldn't be planted close to each
other; why is that?"

    I'm still wondering.  Who could have possibly started/spread that rumor
and why?

    What I tell customers is, "If you are going to plant bird-planted
seedlings, you could get black/red crossed plants."  I test most of my
seedlings and occasionally one yields purple fruit but I can't see how that
might be a problem with most people.

    One other possibility is that cane borer infestations are less likely to
be noticed among reds because of the multitude of canes and could become a
problem in the blacks (blacks typically have fewer canes).

    None of my customers could tell from whom they heard the rumor or why.
Please; would you venture a guess?

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472