[NAFEX] deer repellents

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 06:01:30 EST 2009

I think it would be useful to investigate the literature on any research
about deer repellents.  There is a forest industry in this country that
relies on repellents to a certain extent so I know some of this research has
been done.  Some years ago I read of a study comparing several repellents on
the market and the Deer Away formulation was deemed most affective.  Its
active ingredient is inedible egg solids.

After this study, I think, Cornell began suggesting egg as a repellent- much
cheaper than the commercial formulation.  I have also seen studies where
Ivory soap bars have proven their worth in spite of the often published
theory that the highly perfumed soaps are most affective.  Ivory works
better.  Small bars, still in their rap, are sometimes tied to individual
trees in commercial orchards to help free standers get established.

This is why I tried combining Ivory with egg.  The egg has to be a very good
sticker too.  Try getting some dried egg off a plate with running water
only.

Anyone want to google "deer repellent research"?