[NAFEX] Northern pecan nuts?

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Wed Feb 25 13:49:01 EST 2009

To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:51:50 PM
Subject: [NAFEX] Any northern growers have some pecan nuts?

       Does anyone have or know who might have some pecan seeds whose origin
is in Southern WI, or Northern Illinois, northern Iowa, Southern MN, Northern
NE, any site with a similar growing season as Southern WI?
Thanks!
kevin bradley

Hi Kevin,

The shortest season pecan here in central Indiana is Witte.  There is another
name for it and it escapes my memory right now.

The limiting factor that far north is growing season. Remember the pecan
species here is the same as the southern species. Steward, a southern variety is
large there. When planted here it doesn't generally mature. Major here as about
the size of my thumb, considerably smaller than the southern varieties.

The advise given by another that you should get grafted trees is correct.
Especially that far north. Unless you live in a micro climate pecans that mature
there will be small. And even if you plant a Witte nut, the genetics could
destine it to be a larger longer season nut and not mature there.

Witte is about the size of the tip of my little finger. I could supply scion
wood.

Jerry

A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2
easy steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1218822736x1201267884/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26
hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)