[NAFEX] Weed prevention idea now newspaper toxicity

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Wed Feb 18 15:59:04 EST 2009

On Feb 18, 2009, at 2:28 PM, Mark Angermayer wrote:

> I continue to hear the possible that newspaper ink could contain toxic
> materials.  Does anyone out there have a definitive answer?

Not a definitive answer, but for what it's worth, the most recent copy
I have of the OMRI generic materials list (of items permitted /
restricted / prohibited for use in certified organic systems) says that
newspaper is restricted, as follows; "Glossy paper and colored inks are
prohibited. Paper may only be used as a mulch or compost feedstock."

So they appear to have had a significant problem with something in
glossy paper and colored ink; and some lesser difficulty with the plain
black inked paper, or some other reason why plain paper should not be
used as, I suppose, livestock bedding -- I can't think what else you
would use it for, other than mulch or compost.

(Well, I use it under the barn swallow nest to make cleaning the mess
up easier. But I don't think the certification people are concerned
about that.)

Lately the newspapers I get sometimes have colored pictures scattered
through the paper; sorting them out would certainly add to the time
needed to lay the newspapers down.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly