[NAFEX] cardboard and assorted weed barriers

tanis cuff tanistanis at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 17 21:51:12 EST 2009

Nice heads-up re carpet & winter, Alan.  I've seen synthetic carpets used as pathes or mulches and they ALWAYS make a mess-- hard to remove if/when you want-- and always looks awful.

For newspapers, I've found 8-10 sheet layers are needed to slow down rhizomatous grasses, and larger areas than you intend to open up if you want to kill the grass.  I aim for 50% overlap of 4-5 layer pieces.  If you want to till the area in autumn, use no thicker than 6 layers.

Some mulch, most any kind, is needed to hold down the newspapers.  Also to hide it from woodchucks which want it for nesting material.