[NAFEX] cardboard and assorted weed barriers

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 18:14:26 EST 2009

I've always been a bit squeemish about herbicides and so I've used all
manner of weed barriers to establish the fruit trees I install and to
protect my garden.  I've used cardboard for years as have many gardeners as
well as newspaper, and carpet.  Sometimes I use landscape fabric.  Pretty
much whatever I have around- I never let newspaper or cardboard leave my
property, unless it's to mulch some trees I'm installing.  I'd be a bit
reluctant to use cardboard for raspberries for fear it would deter emerging
plants so I use the flimsier newspaper for that.  If there is any kind of
drainage issue I use very porous landscape fabric- don't want to interfere
with the transfer of oxygen for carbondioxide.

Old wool rugs or carpet works great, as long as you pull it away during the
winter- rodents love it.