[NAFEX] raspberry opinion

Richard MURPHY murphman108 at msn.com
Mon Feb 16 19:11:34 EST 2009

Hello Clan;

I agree with the Caroline nomination. Geez Louise ! Tons ! about 3 to 4 feet up off the ground.
Also, about 2 weeks before that, the Polana plants unload, about 2 feet high.
Autumn Britten ranks at 90% of Caroline; mine are very similar.
All are from Nourse Farms in Massachusetts.

There is a MASSIVE BLAST of fruit for the first pick, then a few small picks before frost.
The other advantage of everbearers (for me) is that it's generally a lot cooler at picking time.
Less mold, fewer bees.

Both varieties send up plenty of offspring each year, with Caroline sending up the most.
These berries freeze OK, so even if the picking is a bit staggered, it's fine with me.

Bramble initiates; good reading for cheap money "The Backyard Berry Book" by Stella Otto.
It saved my cluless ass from self destruction more than once.

Murph