[NAFEX] raspberries

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Mon Feb 16 18:31:40 EST 2009

On Feb 16, 2009, at 2:43 PM, fuwa fuwa usagi wrote:

>   I am not sure why color matters unless you intend to have 3
> varieties that ripen at the same time.

The purple and gold varieties I have tasted had a different sort of
flavor than the reds I have tasted (and a different flavor from each
other).

As I've only had one or two each of purple and gold this might be a
difference in flavor of the individual varieties, rather than of the
color overall.

I preferred the reds (of which I've tried at least half a dozen, some
of which I liked better than others; but I liked all the reds better
than the purple and gold I tried.)

Unfortunately this was years ago and I don't remember variety names,
for the most part. I gave up on raspberries because the place is
covered with virus-hosting blackcaps, and even supposedly-resistant
varieties all gave out after a few years. The blackcaps are good,
though . . .

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly