[NAFEX] grafting onto large b9 rootstock

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Wed Feb 11 23:00:54 EST 2009

In a message dated 2/11/2009 9:21:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bluestem_farm at juno.com writes:

> I've done a little grafting onto B-9, and I probably had the best success
> rates with bark grafting; I've done it with rootstocks as small as 1/4".  For
> bark grafting your scion is still dormant, but you wait until the root has
> just begun to grow so that the bark will slip.  There are good pictures of bark
> grafts in many fruit books, also in The Grafter's Handbook.  It isn't quite
> as sturdy a graft for a few years so if it grows fast you may need to stake
> the new growth to keep it from blowing loose on a windy day.

Hi Muffy,

I agree totally. The bark graft would and does work well with persimmon as
well as most other tree species. And yes I also wait until active growth has
begun and the bark is well into the slip.

The reason I suggested the splice or whip & tongue is it heals 100% around
faster than with the bark graft. My preference is doing a splice or whip higher
rather than a bark graft lower due to the needed additional diameter. I've
done many more bark grafts than splice.

Jerry

A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2
easy steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1218550342x1201216770/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%26b
cd=febemailfooterNO62)