[NAFEX] Jamming question + peach jam update

Sarah Kehler Ewing skkewing at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 10 20:55:08 EST 2009

Hi Mark,

I'm finally getting around to writing an update on the peach jam thread I posted last fall because it may apply to you although I haven't tried Pomona's yet.

Re: I made 7 double batches of spiced and not spiced peach jam using Certo Lite pectin and none of it gelled.  I doubled the amounts of everything and then added an extra 2 Tbs. of Certo Lite (works out to an extra half a pack and this recipe worked for my cherry and raspberry jams) and none of the peach jam gelled.... until late Dec/early Jan.  All my double batches gelled using the two and a half packs of Certo Lite, but the peach jam took several months to do so.  All the jams are a beautiful spreading consistency, don't run off my toast and don't need to be sliced (yes, I made Dolgo Crabapple jelly that needed to be sliced)!

So there is hope that yours may gel eventually, but then again I've also got some cherry jam from a simple doubled recipe and with out the extra half pack and it makes very good topping for ice cream, pancakes, pudding, etc!

Good luck!

Sarah