[NAFEX] spraying curculiio

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Mon Feb 9 14:23:27 EST 2009

Eddie,

Was it shipping costs that pushed up the price of the Surround?  Your costs should be about $50 per acre per application.  We don’t have summer rains here, and I truly don’t know how often it might need to be reapplied.

I think it’s outrageously expensive if it doesn’t work for you!  Anything would be in that case.  I note very mixed results from different growers in different parts of the country.  You can’t monitor and then apply – it needs to arrive on the fruit before the first pests do.

Good gardening,

~ Stephen

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org [mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Eddie Earles
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2009 3:33 AM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] spraying curculiio

I'm along the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland.  The USDA map shows us as 7a but I think we're actually 7b.

We have a lot of humidity and a lot of disease and insect pressure here, compounded by the fact that all the surrounding properties have old apple trees that are not sprayed or tended by the landowners.  Curculio pressure is very heavy.  Malathion and Sevin have no effect on them here.  I looked into Surround, but found it to be prohibitively (in fact, outrageously) expensive.

Eddie Earles