[NAFEX] Tiger Lillies, daylilies? [OT, mostly]

tanis cuff tanistanis at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 7 18:48:01 EST 2009

At one time I had both the common tiger-lilies (true lily, with bulbs);  still have lots of the common "ditch lily" daylily (spreads by rhizome.)  The tiger-lilies gradually reduced, from drought and rabbit-grazings.  Yes my other true lilies died out, but I think the droughts & rabbits got them before any diseases.  The daylilies are more tenacious, but can be pushed back by a combination of herbiciding, mowing, & digging.

I may have a few tiny plants of the tiger-lilies left and could send them along, but go with a better source first.  Does anyone know the best time for transplanting these, if the little 2-3 leaf ones are worth dealing with?

Anyone who wants "ditch lily" or common orange weedy daylily can let me know.  I've been expanding a planting area into a daylily patch, and can send rhizomes early spring or midsummer.  I don't recommend this plant unless you have a large area which needs cover.