[NAFEX] controlling brown rot in stone fruit

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Sat Feb 7 15:19:30 EST 2009

On Feb 7, 2009, at 10:19 AM, eric wrote:

> I do not understand why Copper is considered "organic" or
> "sustainable". Using copper is adding poisonous heavy metals to your
> soil, and while even the worst of the chemical pesticides will break
> down over time, Copper is forever.

Copper in small amounts is an essential nutrient, for humans as well as
for other species.

Copper in excess can indeed be toxic. Current organic certification
standards consider those copper materials which are permitted (some
materials and uses are prohibited) to be a restricted-use material, and
specifically state that they "must be used in a manner that minimizes
accumulation in the soil". Restricted use materials are not supposed to
be your only or primary means of control.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly