[NAFEX] Foxwhelp cider apple and victoria limbertwig

Claude Jolicoeur cjoli at gmc.ulaval.ca
Wed Nov 26 13:31:58 EST 2008

Lisa,
This is a quite common problem. It has been discussed some time ago on the
Cider Digest - most (if not all) people - including myself - that acquired
Foxwhelp found they had something else, and that apple is now often called
Fauxwhelp (meaning Falsewhelp). I was told that the orchard in England
where the scion wood was originally taken for exporting in USA had many
trees whose rootstock had taken over the variety, so we might have the
stock fruit. Others think it might be a seedling of Foxwhelp. It might also
be simply a tagging error...
What is annoying is some people still think they have Foxwhelp and keep on
dissiminating this false Foxwhelp.
So, may this make you feel better, you are not alone in this boat!
Claude, in Quebec.