[NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 64, Issue 41 Groundhogs

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Sat May 17 10:43:54 EDT 2008

On May 16, 2008, at 8:13 PM, Pete wrote:

> Hi
> No groundhogs here in South central MS.....Never saw one before. Are
> groundhogs the same animal as prarire dogs?
> Thanks
> Pete/MS/Z8

No, different animal.  A groundhog is a large solitary rodent, a
little bit smaller than a raccoon, about the size of a cat.  They
have a very large appetite, but are otherwise sort of cute.  When I
see one I throw my cat out the door and tell her to go get it.  They
are larger than anything she's ever killed, but her presence
disconcerts them, and they usually move along.

My father has had good luck excluding them from his garden with an
electric fence.  It's actually a regular chicken-wire fence with two
electric wires, one at the top to discourage climbing, and one close
to the ground to discourage digging.

Ginda
Eastern MA, zone 6