[NAFEX] Captan/Sulfur

dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Thu May 8 10:27:28 EDT 2008

Hi Bill,

For an organic approach to scab, begin your control program as soon as you
see green in the apple buds. For the rains occurring prior to when the green
tissue is ½ inch long copper or lime sulfur can be used either just ahead of
the rain or within 48 hours of the start of the rain. Copper should be
discontinued at ½ inch green tip or russeting of the fruit will result.
Sulfur is applied every 3 to 5 days or prior to every rain from ½ inch green
tip until 4 weeks after petal fall.  If you cannot spray prior to a rain,
use lime sulfur within 48 hours of the start of the rain. For summer disease
control and if you have Scab infected leaves 4 weeks after petal fall you
should continue sulfur sprays on a 2 week interval until harvest or the end
of August whichever comes first. Spray until leaves are dripping.  Leaves
which fall from the tree should be mowed or removed and composted since the
scab fungus overwinters in fallen leaves.

I am attaching a copy off-list of our spray protocol for you to review for a
non-organic approach to scab that will give you other options.  Look at the
recommendation for Scab at green tip, Tight Cluster and Bloom.  There is a
list of all of your options with recommendations for rotating sprays between
Captan, EBDCs, SIs and strobilurins.  Mancozeb is an EDBC and goes by the
trade name Dithane, which is one of the options we use here at Royal Oak
Farm.  You can use Mancozeb up through bloom at the full rate, but after
bloom reduce it to half the rate.  Look for pome fruit on the label for the
rate, or use the EcoApple recommended rate of 1 lb/ per 100 gal. It is
possible Mancozeb is not labeled for pome fruit (apples) in Nebraska, but
that would surprise me.

If you have any questions about the recommendations, feel free to contact me
anytime.  We are right in the middle of our scab spray program and I use a
disease computer model for timing sprays with the Mill's table.  In your
case, with only a few trees, spraying every 5 to 7 days is a good rule to
follow.

Hope this helps!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard, Zone 5