[NAFEX] Captan/Sulfur

Mark Dorogi mddorogi at comcast.net
Tue May 6 21:27:45 EDT 2008

I sprayed captan on my apples last night; they are in full bloom.  But, I
was low on captan, so I mixed it at about 50% the label rate.  Then, I used
sulfur when I ran out. This caused a few questions to pop into my mind.

What would happen if I used the standard "home orchard spray" at 50% of the
recommended strength?   In other words, if I assume I'd get near 100%
control using it per the label instructions, would I expect to get 0%
control at 50% strength?   Would there be any difference for fungicides vs
insecticides?   I'm wondering if anyone has ever evaluated this.  I'm a
trusting person, but on the other hand, I have no reason to trust that the
label application rates are at the minimum acceptable level.

Also, is there any harm in mixing captan and sulfur?  I rinsed my sprayer
when I switched from captan to sulfur, but the trees are close together and
there were some branches that got some of both.

Mark