[NAFEX] Siberian C peach seeds

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Fri Feb 29 01:24:55 EST 2008

The Western Ontario Fruit Testing Association (then based at Harrow)
used to sell seed for rootstocks back in the 1980s. It has become the
Ontario Fruit Testing Association and is now based in the Niagara
Peninsula. I wouldn't be surprised if it still sells rootstock seed.
I will try to get the contact information.

Siberian C is now regarded as obsolete for rootstocks. Thoae who want
something more cold-hardy than Bailey are recommended to try Chui Lum
Tao or Tzim Pee Tao, which Harrow and Vineland have worked with. See

Peach and Nectarine Cultivars [for Ontario]

http://omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/07-041.htm

 From memory I think the problems with Siberian C had to do with entry
and exit from dormancy, such that the advantage from its better
midwinter coldhardiness was balanced by greater proneness to cold injury
in fall (and spring?).

WOFTA also sold seed of Haggith apricot, which Harrow had selected as
suitable for seedling rootstocks for apricot in southern Ontario. I
heard that the original tree of Haggith had been found thriving on an
old manure heap, a severe test for an apricot.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario