[NAFEX] backpack sprayers, etc.

Erdman, James ErdmanJ at uwstout.edu
Thu Feb 28 09:05:49 EST 2008

I bought a cylindrical metal pump up sprayer perhaps 30 years ago, which
worked okay for many years.  It was not real convenient as it was
awkward to carry, and had to be set down to pump it up every few
minutes.  A couple of years ago, the local Fleet Farm had some Solo
backpack sprayers in the store, and I bought one.   My reaction-Why
didn't I get one 30 years ago??!!  It is easy to carry, pumps easily
while it is on my  back, sprays well for me, etc.  I think I may get one
with the diaphragm pump if I decide to try using Surround for curculio
control.  I haven't  had any problems with the Solo, no drips, no loss
of pressure, worst thing is that one of the straps might slip out of the
clip at the bottom of the tank if I don't set it up right, but that is
easily clipped back in place.   I think that they are great for small
orchards and gardens-I find that I am spraying fish and sea weed much
more regularly since it is so much more pleasant to use than the old
cylindrical style of tank and pump.

Jim, in Menomonie, WI