[NAFEX] trimming my Myers Lemon

Bob Randall YearRoundGardening at comcast.net
Wed Feb 27 20:44:22 EST 2008

Ginda,

I grow a lot of citrus here in the ground in zone 9b/10a Houston
including two Meyer lemons. I also have taught citrus classes for many
years. Citrus in the ground is very tolerant of cutting.  In 1983 and
1989 I lost all of a large satsuma tangerine in bad freezes except I
preserved 1-2 buds above the graft line. I also lost all of a Meyer on
its own roots down to the roots  I cut the whole tree off each time
and got my tree back.

Without seeing a picture of what you are describing, I can't be sure.
But generally I would cut below the last damaged branch with
disinfected pruning shears or saw.

These trees, in my experience recover quickly.

Bob Randall