[NAFEX] Looking for Red Pear scions

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Thu Feb 21 14:25:01 EST 2008

FWIW, some years ago Oregon State U. evaluated a bunch of red sports of
various varieties, such as the Red Clapps, and all of them were lower
in vigor and less productive than the normal, uncolored strains.   I
tried a few red sports and found pretty much the same thing.  It's
unclear if varieties actually bred for red color would have better
productivity.  There has surely been work on that in the intervening
years if someone knows of it.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.