[NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 61, Issue 64

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed Feb 20 14:11:58 EST 2008

At 06:09 PM 2/19/2008, you wrote:
>Looking for advice on grafting a very young seedling pecan.
>Any special tecniques? This seedling is a little thicker than a  pencil. Any
>special time other than when the rootstock starts waking up??

Pete,
I'll defer to Topgun, if he weighs in, as he's done more of these
through the years than me.

I do a modified bark graft for most all of my pecan/hickory/walnut
grafts - a modificaton of the so-called 'Sap-stopper modification of
the Gray graft'.
I make a transverse cut in the rootstock, approximately 3/4-7/8 of
the way through the stem, then break the top over, leaving it
attached, to act as a 'sap-drawer' or 'pressure relief valve' of sorts.
Then, I'll make a downward vertical incision in the bark of the
rootstock, and gently lift the bark on either side.
Scion prep consists of making a long, sloping cut in the base - just
like you would for a simple splice graft, then 'shaving' a bit of
bark off the two sides to expose some additional cambium tissue on
the sides, then slide the scion down into the vertical slit in the
rootstock bark until the uppermost cambium on the base is just at the
top of the nearly-beheaded rootstock.  Wrap & seal.
Seems like I've seen some recommendations (OK St. U., maybe?) for
doing whip & tongue grafts prior to budbreak - and I think I've done
a couple that way in the past, with maybe a 50% success rate - but
again, it's only been a couple.  Here 'tis:
http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-1020/HLA-6205.pdf

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7