[NAFEX] Maple

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Tue Feb 19 17:43:12 EST 2008

At 04:35 PM 2/19/2008, you wrote:
>  I'd love to know what else I can tap for syrup.

David,
A couple years back there was an article in the NNGA proceedings
about tapping walnuts to make syrup - and in some small taste tests
that were conducted, the black walnut syrup was preferred over
maple.  I suppose you could also tap hickory/pecan, since they're
members of the same family.

I've made hickory syrup by boiling nuts, nutshell fragments, and
husks, straining, adding sugar, and cooking down to desired
consistency - and some people do the same thing with strips of
exfoliatingbark pulled from shagbark, shellbark, and pignut hickories.

Lucky