[NAFEX] Pruning and Dormant Spray

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Tue Feb 19 17:34:02 EST 2008

> the sulfur your notes refer to is micronized sulfur a powder not the same thing as lime sulfur

> Summer sprays cannot combine oil and sulphur (or lime-sulphur) since the combination is phytotoxic.  But there are no leaves in the winter so they can be combined then.

Got it. There seems to be a bit of disagreement here, but the end result
is the same (at least for dormant spraying) - that I don't have to worry
about combining lime sulfur and dormant oil. Thanks much!

> I am curious about how people time their dormant sprays.  I do only one spray and feel like it is best to spray as late as possible, just before the leaves come, so the bugs have started to wake up a bit and will be more vulnerable.  I think I read something to this effect at some point and it sounded convincing.  I think this stage is called "bud swell", before "green tip".

That would sound good to me, too. As I mentioned, I'm mainly concerned
that I don't encourage the breaking of dormancy - and the resultant
blooming - any earlier than I have to.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
A girl phoned me the other day and said "Come on over, there's nobody
home." I went over. Nobody was home. - Rodney Dangerfield