[NAFEX] oil and captan

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 10:35:58 EST 2008

I use oil to control mites and scale.  If scale is the primary problem 2% at
half-inch green is good, for mites 1% at tight cluster.  I always use some
kind of summer oil and combine with Nova.  The Captan label says nothing
about waiting 2 weeks after an oil application- just that there should be a
little seperation.  However I have sometimes experienced some phytotoxisisty
with a captan application at around that interval, but only on a couple of
varieties.  Tomkins King in particular.

Where I have susceptible varieties, and pears are also susceptible to this
kind of injury now that I think of it, I remove the Captan from the
pedal-fall application.  I use a combination of Imidan, Flint and Nova in
this case where I'd normally use Nova and Captan with the Imidan.  In the
scores of orchards I manage I get almost absolute control of scab and CAR
and very good control of Plum Curculio with a 3-spray program.  The Imidan
sprays are at pedal-fall and 10 to 14 days later.