[NAFEX] Pruning and Dormant Spray

Scott Smith scott at cs.jhu.edu
Mon Feb 18 19:32:58 EST 2008

Summer sprays cannot combine oil and sulphur (or lime-sulphur) since
the combination is phytotoxic.  But there are no leaves in the winter
so they can be combined then.

I am curious about how people time their dormant sprays.  I do only
one spray and feel like it is best to spray as late as possible, just
before the leaves come, so the bugs have started to wake up a bit and
will be more vulnerable.  I think I read something to this effect at
some point and it sounded convincing.  I think this stage is called
"bud swell", before "green tip".

Scott