[NAFEX] ikonboard, a better solution to a listserver

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Sun Feb 17 22:49:01 EST 2008

On Feb 17, 2008, at 8:48 PM, Robert Mullins wrote:

> 'Rooting' was absolutely accurate when he described email listings
> being
> 'antique', but it would be more descriptive to say it's 'archaic' from
> technological perspective.  I have wide interests, and read across the
> board in many disciplines and I simply don't know anyone still using
> mailing lists as a repository of information. You said " I want to see
> better argument against the email list than that somebody thinks it is
> "antique"."  Well, with technology this is a very real, and good
> argument.  Just as a good reason why NOT to buy a Model 'T' Ford would
> be that you just can't find parts to them.  I'm not saying that it
> wouldn't be cool to have one, but it's functionality is greatly
> diminished if not pretty much useless.

I'm not sure that's the right analogy. I'm on several email lists; they
seem to continue to function, and now and then somebody posts on them
about new ones they're starting. So I have the impression that it's
still quite possible to do the equivalent of "finding parts" for
mailing lists.

Here's a different analogy: how about a car versus a bicycle? People
who drive cars would only still be driving Model T's if they think
Model T's are cool; and even then, they'll have more problems with
their driving than those will who are driving something newer. But some
people only use bicycles, some people only cars, and some use both a
car and a bicycle, for different types of travel. They're both methods
of transportation; but they're better at different aspects of
transportation, and some people's lives fit better with one than with
the other. Why should we all have to live the same way?

The technology of both cars and bicycles has continued to improve. The
bicycles now on the market are no more the same as the bicycles on the
market in the 1920's than the cars are the same as the Model T's. I
don't know whether people are also improving the technology of email
groups, such as the ability to search archives; but I wouldn't assume
that this isn't possible.

> I personally don't know anyone who wants to pour through around 100
> emails a day just to get to information they are interested in.

I find it even harder to hunt through those posts contained in dozens
of threads on a board; any of which, despite their titles, may include
information that doesn't fit into the title of the thread.

> I myself considered turning off the email flood I get from NAFEX
> because
> it's just way too much.

There isn't usually anywhere near this much of it! (I say, contributing
yet again to the pile). And what I do when I'm too busy is, I don't go
to the boards at all; so I just miss discussion on boards entirely. I
rarely go back through the archives when I do get time to go back on.
If it comes into the email box, I at least glance at it, and get some
sense of what's going on.

I'd also like to note that having the discussion as a whole come at me
means that I at least glance at posts it turns out I did want to see,
when I would almost certainly have missed them on a board. I doubt I'd
have checked a board thread on blueberries, for instance, as my soil is
too sweet for them -- or so I thought. But a while ago there were
several posts on this board to the effect that blueberries sometimes do
just fine in soil with pH in the range of mine.

And I'm in agreement with Karen Kellogg, quoted below. --