[NAFEX] boards vs. lists: a compromise solution?

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Sun Feb 17 21:12:52 EST 2008

I don't know whether this is practical or not, and I'm in no position
to volunteer to be the one who does the extra work, but how about this:

Bearing in mind that we already have both the print Pomona and this
list, with some NAFEX people using both, and some only one or the
other:

What if NAFEX put up a board, but continued hosting this email list?

Keep this up for a year or so, then take a look at the situation. I
think most likely one of three things will have happened:

1) Lots of people are registered on and posting on the boards, and
there are hoards of lurkers. Nobody much is on the email list any
longer. In this case, NAFEX drops the list.

2) The email list is still full of lively discussion. Hardly anybody is
using the boards. In that case, drop the boards.

3) Possibly the best-case scenario: Many people are subscribed to and
posting or lurking on the list. Many people are registered on, posting
on, and lurking on the boards. In some cases these are the same people;
but in large part it's two different groups, and the total number of
people accessing NAFEX by one means or the other has greatly increased.
If so, keep both the boards and the list; making sure that each
mentions the existence of the other, as well as the existence of
Pomona.

(4) would be the one we hope doesn't happen: neither the boards nor the
list is full of discussion, and membership is still dropping. In which
case we hope something else works.)

Advertising would probably have to pay for the boards; but I get the
impression this is standard for board users, so they're used to it. If
the boards become popular, NAFEX as a whole can get extra income.
Lurking on the boards, and at least reading the list, I think should
remain free (probably posting on both should be free as well, but maybe
not other services such as searching archives); this will draw in more
people, who can then be encouraged to donate/subscribe once they've got
a better idea of the benefits of the group.

Paper Pomona should also be kept up, partly for those who for varying
reasons (and there are some good reasons) don't use computers, partly
to make sure at least part of the information is widely dispersed in
hardcopy form, which is the best way to make sure it doesn't disappear.
The boards and the email list could both specify in the user terms that
any non-personal information posted might be printed in Pomona.
properly credited; this should solve the problem of getting enough info
to put into Pomona, though not the problem of the needed time for
someone to sort it out into that form.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly