[NAFEX] ikonboard, a better solution to a listserver

Robert Mullins mullins at gaelicmysts.com
Sun Feb 17 20:48:34 EST 2008

Well, to be fair the question was 'how to get more people involved' and
'how to get a better presence' for the group.
Bulletin boards is how you do it.  If your goal is to simply stay the
same and watch your membership dwindle then definitely you should stay
with the way things are.  The board members see the dwindling membership
and want to do something about it, and rightly so.  In addition, I do
not have a vested interest except I am very interested in seeing the
past preserved, especially with regard to antique apples and the like.
It is much easier to secure and back up a highly structured and
organized database as what is used in a bulletin board format than in a
'mailing list'.   Backing up a mailing list simply saves all the
information in a big, fat file, however backing up a database is
structured, so that the data 'makes sense' and can easily be un-packed
and re-used.

'Rooting' was absolutely accurate when he described email listings being
'antique', but it would be more descriptive to say it's 'archaic' from a
technological perspective.  I have wide interests, and read across the
board in many disciplines and I simply don't know anyone still using
mailing lists as a repository of information. You said " I want to see a
better argument against the email list than that somebody thinks it is
"antique"."  Well, with technology this is a very real, and good
argument.  Just as a good reason why NOT to buy a Model 'T' Ford would
be that you just can't find parts to them.  I'm not saying that it
wouldn't be cool to have one, but it's functionality is greatly
diminished if not pretty much useless.  If you want to have a 'Model T'
out of fascination that is 'OK' but from what I get out of the past
comments about mailing lists 'fascination' is not something you want in
your information dispersion methodology. In addition, I am not one of
those 'kids' who needs the shiny, and new to be interested, but as a new
subscriber to NAFEX how will I get to something you posted here 5 years
ago?  With bulletin boards I could search that out even though I was a
new subscriber.

My perception is that NAFEX wants to be electronically viable as well as
increase in membership.  In order to do that the Pomona magazine needs
an overhaul as well as the way information is dispensed.  Information
availability is very important in this information overkilled world, and
I personally don't know anyone who wants to pour through around 100
emails a day just to get to information they are interested in.  I
myself considered turning off the email flood I get from NAFEX because
it's just way too much.